Energy consumption and efficiency
The Company is working to implement new energy efficient technologies that enable it to reduce energy consumption. As part of the energy efficiency program, X5 is gradually reducing electricity consumption per square meter of retail space. The Company operates automatic monitoring systems to record electric energy consumption, as well as a monitoring and control centre for these systems.
Electricity consumption accounts for about 80% of X5's total utility costs, which makes it a priority. X5 put in place a number of initiatives to optimise the use of electricity:
- setting up an automatic data collection system across Pyaterochka stores to reduce electricity consumption, analyse the data flow and calculate optimal tariffs;
- rolling out the extended Smart Store pilot in the Pyaterochka retail chain to cut energy consumption at retail outlets by 5%;
- using remotely controlled refrigeration systems in all Pyaterochka stores;
- rolling out a comprehensive system in Perekrestok stores that helps to improve the energy efficiency of supermarkets. The automated control and monitoring system will help cut power consumption in stores by an average of 10%. The energy efficiency system regulates equipment and lighting loads based on the operating mode of the retail facility, current temperature indoors and outdoors, and CO2 content in the air;
- installing LED lighting in all stores.
Transport and logistics operations have a significant impact on the environment. X5 uses a variety of approaches to mitigate this impact by investing in modern trucks, optimising travel routes and recycling tires, tubes, batteries, ferrous and non-ferrous metals, motor oils and other materials in line with Russian legislation.