Amsterdam, 20 December 2019 – X5 Retail Group ("X5" or the "Company"), a leading Russian food retailer (LSE and MOEX ticker: "FIVE"), today announces that its Supervisory Board has approved a sustainable development strategy as part of its overall business strategy.
The sustainable development strategy is based on the four Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through which the Company can make the most significant impact:
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition;
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages;
- Promote sustainable economic growth and decent work for all;
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
In line with these SDGs, the Company defined the following sustainability goals as part of its long-term strategy:
- Support local communities through increased social investments and charitable programmes;
- Ensure the availability of a wide selection of quality and healthy products to promote healthy lifestyles;
- Ensure decent working conditions and equal opportunities for all employees;
- Promote responsible consumption and use of resources.
X5 is developing programmes that will be underpinned by performance metrics and KPIs in each of these areas, as well as policies and performance standards that will be further integrated into X5's business processes. Further details will be shared with all relevant stakeholders over the course of 2020.
Chairman of the Supervisory Board Stephan DuCharmе said: "Caring for our customers and employees, as well as the world around us and being a part of the global sustainable development agenda is becoming one of our top priorities alongside X5's business and financial goals. We strongly believe this is our responsibility as a company, and that it will make a significant contribution to X5's long-term value creation. The Supervisory Board fully supports this approach and the work that X5's management is doing in this area."
CEO Igor Shekhterman said: "Our business impacts a huge number of stakeholders, whether customers, employees, suppliers or shareholders. Every day nearly 15 million people visit more than 15,700 stores located in over 3,000 cities that we operate in. A strategic approach to sustainable development with clearly defined goals will enable us not only to scale up our existing social and environmental projects, but also to make sustainable development priorities an integral part of the daily activities of the whole Company."
 17 Sustainable Development Goals through 2030 adopted by the United Nations in September 2015.
Download (PDF. 0.5 MB)