X5 is a large and sustainable business with a track record of more than 20 years in the market, which originates from an entrepreneurial initiative to build a modern Russian retailer committed to global best practices. Today, it is a business that fosters its entrepreneurial nature and drives growth in the retail sector.
It is a client-focused business creating value for customers, which in turn increases value for shareholders, employees and partners.
- Perekrestok is founded by Alfa Group.
- The first Perekrestok store opens in Moscow.
- Perekrestok is the first Russian company to become a member of the Food Business Forum, an international association of food product manufacturers and the world's largest retail chains.
- X5 opens new stores in Teply Stan, Otradnoye, Severnoye Butovo and Zhulebino districts of Moscow. Perekrestok's product mix quadrupled to hit 10,000 SKUs, daily customer traffic is at least 27,000 people.
- Perekrestok store count reaches 20 stores.
- Perekrestok is the first Russian retailer to open its own distribution centre.
- Pyaterochka retail chain is founded.
- Pyaterochka opens the first store in St Petersburg.
- Pyaterochka opens an in-house professional training and development centre.
- Pyaterochka store count in St. Petersburg reaches 17 in January 2000.
- Pyaterochka enters the Moscow market.
- Pyaterochka kicks off construction of an office and logistics centre of around 30,000 sq m (the largest in the North-West of Russia), which helped the retailer to cut logistics expenses by over 30% and reduce used space twofold.
- Perekrestok opens its first hypermarket.
- Perekrestok starts expansion into Russia's regions.
- Pyaterochka starts developing its franchise network.
- First private labels are introduced.
- Templeton Investments acquires a 7.7% stake in Perekrestok.
- Perekrestok store count reaches 75 stores.
- Perekrestok acquires the SPAR retail chain.
- Pyaterochka opens the largest distribution centre in the North-West of Russia.
- Perekrestok acquires the 365 retail chain in Yaroslavl.
- Pyaterochka enters Ukraine's and Kazakhstan's markets.
- Perekrestok and Pyaterochka store counts reach 90 and 100 stores in Moscow and St Petersburg, respectively.
- Pyaterochka completes an IPO on the London Stock Exchange.
- Pyaterochka acquires Kopeyka's 18 stores in St Petersburg and 25 stores in Moscow.
- Perekrestok takes over the Dalport supermarket chain in St Petersburg and Krasnodar, while its acquisition of four SPAR stores in Kiev (Ukraine) paves the way to the Ukrainian market.
- Perekrestok merges with Pyaterochka.
- The combined company changes its name to X5 Retail Group N.V.
- The total store count exceeds 600.
- X5 places a RUB 34 bn bond issue.
- The first Pyaterochka store opens in the Nizhny Novgorod Region.
- X5 acquires Korzinka, a Lipetsk retail chain, as well as the Strana Gerkulesiya chain operating in the Moscow and Tver Regions.
- X5 enters the Urals market.
- X5 wins the Retail Grand Prix Award.
- X5's total store count exceeds 800.
- X5 acquires the Karusel hypermarket chain (23 operating stores and 3 stores under construction).
- X5 enters the markets of the Republic of Bashkortostan, Rostov-on-Don, the Perm Territory, and of the Ivanovo, Kostroma, Saratov and Rostov Regions.
- X5 and the A5 pharmacy chain enter into a partnership agreement.
- X5 wins the Retail Company of the Year award and is ranked first in the Best Retail Chain 2007 rating.
- X5's total store count exceeds 1.1 thousand.
- X5 acquires the Paterson supermarket chain.
- X5 opens Karusel hypermarkets in Moscow.
- The first Perekrestok supermarket opens in Tumen.
- X5 opens Green Perekrestok, its first premium-class supermarket.
- X5 is awarded the Company of the Year 2009 title in the Retail Chain category.
- Pyaterochka is named Russia's Number One Brand in the Retail Chain category.
- X5 opens its first non-food countrywide distribution centre in the Moscow Region.
- X5's total store count exceeds 1.3 thousand.
- X5 acquires the Kopeyka discounter chain.
- X5 successfully acquires the Ostrov retail chain.
- The first Pyaterochka store opens in the Tambov Region.
- Pyaterochka opens its 1,000th store in Russia.
- X5's total store count exceeds 2.4 thousand.
- X5 enters the markets of the Bryansk, Ivanovo and Smolensk Regions, as well as of the Republic of Karelia.
- X5 acquires a 8.45% stake in the A5 pharmacy chain.
- The first Perekrestok store opens in the Kaluga Region.
- The first Karusel hypermarket comes on-stream in the Orenburg Region.
- X5's total store count exceeds 3 thousand.
- Pyaterochka opens its first stores in the Kirov and Vologda Regions, as well as in the Republic of Bashkortostan.
- Perekrestok launches its first stores in the Perm Territory, Surgut and Astrakhan.
- X5 opens Karusel hypermarkets in Tambov and Smolensk.
- X5 launches the E5.RU online store.
- X5 launches its Store of the Future project in partnership with RUSNANO and RTI Systems.
- X5's total store count exceeds 3.8 thousand.
- The Karusel hypermarket chain enters the markets of the Mari El Republic and Tula Region.
- The first Perekrestok store opens in the Tula Region.
- X5 enters into a partnership agreement with the Tumen Region.
- X5 is rated first in Greenpeace's Green Supermarket ranking.
- X5's total store count exceeds 4.5 thousand.
- X5 acquires a 100% stake in Agrotorg-Samara.
- X5 enters into partnership agreements with the governments of the Chelyabinsk and Leningrad Regions, as well as of the Republic of Tatarstan.
- Pyaterochka enters the markets of the Volgograd Region and Sochi.
- Voentorg and X5 open the first Voentorg-Pyaterochka co-branded stores.
- Perekrestok wins the Customer Focus Award.
- X5's total store count exceeds 5.4 thousand.
- X5's total store count exceeds 6,000.
- X5 acquires 27 stores owned by the Nash and Gurman retail chains in the Republics of Mari El and Chuvashia.
- X5 takes over 100 stores owned by the SoseDDushka retail chain in Orenburg and the Orenburg Region.
- X5 acquires 104 stores owned by the Rosinka Group in the Orel, Voronezh, Lipetsk, Kursk and Tambov Regions.
- X5 acquires a 100% stake in SPAR Retail.
- Moody’s upgrades X5's credit rating to "Ba3".
- X5 launches a pilot project to support families in need through the food banking technology.